Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Looking back and now forward


Yes, I am one of those bah humbuggers that takes Christmas down before the New Year. It is kind of a sad process taking it down and packing it away but then it's so worth it after it's all done. The house now looks so much cleaner and bare. It's wonderful. Granted the corner that housed the Christmas tree does look kind of funny. I'm sure in a day or two we won't even notice the bare spot. Ethan and Anna were not too happy and kept asking why I was taking it down. I think now that it's gone though they are just fine.

Do you get the January blahs? I often do and I have to admit I am fighting them pretty hard. I keep telling myself that feeling down about this new month and the winter ahead isn't a very good attitude of gratitude. I continue to remind myself that in not too long, okay well about 3 month my 200 tulips will be budding from the ground. I absolutely love that time of year when you start to open the windows just a tad to let the fresh air in and all the winter bugs out. I love the crispness of the air and yet the frigid winter air is passing. So...as I look to 2009 instead of focusing on all the things I wanted to do or get done and didn't I am going to focus on all the we were blessed with and continue to be blessed with, which was much.

Those most important were Randall landing a very good, secure job and loving it. My Mom making it through her 2nd round of Cancer and chemotherapy. Buying our first home together after 9 years happily married. Our children continuing to be healthy and happy, and much more. On New Year's Eve it will be 14 years since Rand and my first kiss and 10 years to the day that we decided to marry. Who knows what could happen this new year's. Here's wishing you all a very happy, healthy and prosperous New Year!

7 comments:

Tyra said...

Counting our blessings is always good. I could add a sweet Kate, Anna's glasses which help her so much, preschool and kindergarten, and 4 bedrooms. When I count my blessings, I count you twice!

Maria Hart said...

Usually our Christmas comes down on the 26th...I exercised considerable restraint and waited until the 29th this year. I am glad this year has been good for you. Congratulations on Randall's good job, your Mom's tough recovery, a home of your own, a solid marriage, and a sweet little family. A good year indeed!

Enjoying the Journey said...

Nice outlook, Ash! Don't forget how awesome you've been at the gym and you have MY BIRTHDAY to look forward to in a few weeks! Yes! BTW--I did get your gift--THANKS! We are excited to go on a free date! You are awesome!

Gingerlylizzy said...

Hey Ashli!
It looks like you had a wonderful Christmas (besides the sickness going around!) I thought you weren't blogging anymore! (I had your old blogs link). Dave saw a few positions he would definitely be interested in but I don't have yours or Randall's email address... would you please email me? dillydallyart@yahoo.com. THANKS SO MUCH!!!

Angelle said...

Love the positive outlook! You do have such a wonderful family and life!

Sarah said...

I took down our tree the day after Christmas. So how's that humbug-y-ness?

Don't beat yourself up about those January blahs. Everybody gets them--though for me, it's usually February. :) That darned lack of sun can really affect some people's moods.

Staci J said...

Thanks for reminding me there are so many things to be grateful for... Winter blues are common in our household too. I'm still dying that we haven't gotten together yet! Let's play soon, then I'll have another thing to look forward to:)