Monday, October 20, 2008

snakes, meatballs and pumpkins, oh my!

On Friday Anna turned 4. Rand took the day off, and we did most of our activities on Thurs. Rand is now scoutmaster and had to go on a camp-out on Friday. Our day was fun filled an jam packed. We started out by going up to Salt Lake to the Hogle Zoo. I was pleasantly surprised at how nice it was. I haven't been to the Hogle zoo since I was a little girl with my neighbors The Lants. In fact I had to take a picture of the kids in front of the gorilla shape because I have a picture in my scrapbook doing the same thing at about their age. The kids really enjoyed it and Anna said her favorite thing at the zoo was "the snakes". Anna is funny in that she is not afraid of much. When we go to the pet store she is more than willing to "pet" the lizards and snakes, whereas Ethan won't go near them. We also rode on the little train and played at the playground.

After the zoo we had to each lunch so why not stop at IKEA on our way home. You just can't get enough of those meatballs!! We also made an exciting birthday purchase. Anna has been wanting a "bride" for her birthday for months. If you don't know what a "bride" is it's a net canopy to go over her bed like a princess. She picked a pink one and was very excited. We hung it that night and have since hung it every night,even during the night when we have awakened to screams that "the bride fell down". Oh and don't worry we also purchased some chocolate and "Glogg" which is a must try if you haven't already.

After a short nap time at home we stopped by a pumpkin patch right by our house. This is becoming a birthday tradition for Anna to go pick the perfect pumpkin. We wanted to go to a patch down south that also has hayrides and other fall festivities but the traffic was at a stand still, and quite frankly we were all tired.




Friday on her real day she was beat and when we offered to take her to lunch or to pick a movie she just kept saying "nope I'm staying home". I guess we wore her out the day before. She had a fun time playing with her new things and lounging around the house most of the day in her pajamas.

Saturday we had her first ever friend birthday party. It was quite a small gathering (thankfully). Anna chose to have a princess party and asked the girls come in proper princess attire. They all looked so cute and had fun coloring paper doll princesses and decorating magic wands with sparkly jewels. As always I made a cake and it turned out pretty cute. Following with the theme she wanted a princess cake so I made one of those half Barbie dolls stuck in a cake thing.

She felt special and we think all the attention kind of went to her head as she was acting as if she were suddenly "Queen of everything". She had a fun weekend and asked if she could have another birthday party. I told her "you bet, when you're 6!" She is a fun girl and keeps us hopping. We sure are glad she joined our family 4 years ago. We love you!

7 comments:

Laura said...

How fun! Tell her happy birthday from us, especially Mariah! She LOVES Anna posts.

The Walker Family said...

How fun, did I ever tell you B was the Scout Master for our ward? He just got released two weeks ago but, let me tell you it is definetly a time consuming calling but well worth it. Cute princess ideas for Anna Banana's birthday. I bet she loved every minute. Tell her Happy Birthday from us that is if she remembers us. :)

Maria Hart said...

Your Anna and my Emma really do look a lot alike. You planned a great birthday for her. I wanted to comment on your last blog, but you get it here instead. I just wanted to let you know you are being every bit the kind of good parent our Heavenly Parents expect. Heavenly Father leaves us standing at the edges of terrifying precipices all the time. We scream and shout for help... and then learn faith, usually after the leaping into the blurry void.

Jordan Merrell said...

I love the cake. I remember many barbies sticking out of cakes as I grew up. I am so glad that she had such a great day and good for her to stay in her pjs and lounge around all day. That is the same thing that I did on my birthday too :) I love her "bride." That is the cutest thing ever!!!!

Enjoying the Journey said...

Wow! Birthdays are fun at your house! I'm glad you got to incorporate IKEA into the festivities! I'm with you on the meatballs, but I don't know what the heck Glogg is. I've wanted to by a "bride" for Lindsay and Alli when they start to share a room, too! Nice one! And kudoos on the princess cake! I still remember when my Mom made me one for my birthday! You are making some awesome memories!

Michelle said...

How fun!! I'm excited to see the pictures after hearing about the fun day! The cake looks great--wanna send some of those pumpkins down this way?

Lisa said...

Happy Birthday Anna! She is such a cute girl. It looks like she had a really fun birthday. I think every girl needs a princess party. The wands turned out really cute!