Friday, October 10, 2008

My Anna girl

This picture is of most of the Barrett grand kids. It is one of my favorites because of how is captures Anna, all happy and lit up the way we see her at home. You may have to click on it to see it better.


Anna will turn 4 just one week from today. Since 3 of us had our birthdays together in August, she has been very patient in waiting for her big day to come. Today after lunch she told me that she thought she needed to have 4 birthday parties. I don't think that will happen, maybe two?

I love this picture of Anna because it shows what a sweet, cute, little girl she is. If she knows her picture is being taken she seldom smiles. My thoughts lately have been consumed with my Anna and the things I learn from her each day. Anna is a sweet girl and very tender and loving. She is all girl and loves dolls, and princesses and anything pink. She has a strong personality and I love all that she is. Anna can be up and down within a minute but I think her passion and a love for all things in the world will take her far. On the outside she is very shy, cautious and hesitant to jump right into things. I always said I didn't know what I would do if I had a child that was shy...and then she came along. It makes me sad a little bit that people around her can't know her the way we do with all the good (and the challenging). Anna is very different from in many respects. She is very sentimental, a huge pack rat, and she loves to save anything and everything. For example if anyone gets a birthday card whether in be in the mail from the dentist or something more meaningful, after the occasion is over she takes all the cards(even if they aren't hers) and saves them forever. She also love all bags and containers and often still has the gift bag from some body's birthday party from months ago filled to the brim with her "things". She is often found bending over the garbagcan fishing things out that she is sure shouldn't be thrown away. I have finally convinced her that receipts are really nothing worth keeping. I am sad to admit that I have broken her heart on a few occasion when she has looked deep in the garbage to see something she had "created" has been thrown away. I have done better and have since learned to keep almost everything she makes/draws for now. I put 1 new thing she does on the fridge each week, and several on the back of her bedroom door.(which works nicely to cover the huge hole she put in it while having one of her melt downs/tantrums) After a time I'm sure I can throw away some of the papers that maybe aren't so meaningful. Anna has taught, and is still teaching me things like patience, kindness, understand etc. She was a very challenging baby and cried every single night for about 3 hours straight. We read every book and tried every technique to help her stop. Many nights we pleaded in prayer hoping to receive some insight into how to help her. She also cried or fussed a lot in the day. Down the road we have learned she had sleep apnea because he tonsils were so large they would touch in the middle when she laid back and so she would awake and then cry. She also had problems with her tummy and the way she spit up( picture a river flowing here) probably gives some insight that she wasn't feeling well. We also were very frustrated when she didn't walk until 19+ months only to find out later that because of such poor vision, she couldn't see anything close to her and lacked any depth perception so everything was distorted due to extreme far sightedness and astigmatism in both eyes. Turns out she was too scared to try. I remember there was a time when she was 2 years old and she would stand at the top of the stairs and scream and scream for as long as it took until I would come and carry her down the stairs. I was going crazy thinking why won't she just come down. She must just be stubborn. It happened for weeks and there were times I thought she was just having another tantrum and I would just ignore her for as long as it took. She would cry for an hour until I couldn't stand it anymore and put her in her room. I remember calling my sis in law one time with Anna screaming in the back ground telling her I thought I was going to loose it and what should I do? I felt so guilty and sick when the eye Dr. explained it was probably as if she was standing on the edge of a cliff not knowing where the step was and how far down she would have to go. Just writing these things breaks me heart and reminds me that "the books" don't always have the right answers. As parents we are given stewardship over our children to care for, teach and watch over them. In frustration I often forget that...I wish I could always remember to love and care for my children the way our Heavenly Father cares for us. From the time Anna was a baby till 2 1/2 years old she went to bed great, no fuss, no coming out of her room no problems. One night that all changed. For almost 8 months she would come out of her room sometimes 30+ times for whatever reason. We tried every sleep technique, ignore the behavior, Super nanny recommendations, locking the door from the outside. It would take hours for her to calm down and stay in bed and go to sleep. I read every book, thought I had tried everything. In total exasperation one night I was again pleading with Heavenly Father to help me know what to do with her. I was completely at my wits end. I felt distinctly impressed to go in her room and just hold her. I did not want to do that. Everything I had ever read or been taught was to ignore "bad" behavior. To not give any more attention to her behavior than was absolutely necessary. I was so frustrated. I felt more like whacking her than holding her, so why would I go in and hold her after such a horrible fit? I finally gave in and went into her room and held her. She calmed immediately. Since that time we have found that Anna is just one who needs just a little extra reassurance, comfort,and love. In the evenings after we do our night time routine and put her to bed, she will often talk, sing or play a little bit,but almost always before going to sleep will call out "will you hold me?" Randall or I will go in and hold her for just a moment and then she's content to go to sleep. I love and adore her so much and am so grateful for the many lessons she has taught and continues to teach me. I hope when she's grown she will forgive me for the many times I wasn't patient or understanding. I hope Anna has a great week and the best birthday a 4 year old can have. You are a sweetheart, I sure love you Anna!

9 comments:

Jensen said...

What a sweet mom you are Ashli!! I love how you know her so well and that is something that will serve you well over the years! And Anna sure is a beauty:)

Jordan Merrell said...

You are so sweet. Anna is lucky to have you as a mom! Anna is beautiful, just like her momma.

Staci J said...

You are such a great mom Ash, Anna will treasure forever what you've written for her. I hope she has a great birthday, I can't believe Jaylee is closer now to 4 than 3, our girls are growing up...

Enjoying the Journey said...

That was a sweet tribute to Anna, Ash. She is a cute girl. I'm glad things have become a little easier. You are very patient and have learned a lot from her. (Thanks for not mentioning my advice to you when Anna was at the top of the stairs crying!) You are a great Mom--and you're right...you do know best for your kids!

Alyssa said...

I love your thoughts! Both Anna AND you are so sweet! Also thanks for your thoughts on my blog!

Stacy said...

All I can say is "WOW!" I thought my girls were challenging...I can totally empathize with your feelings as a mom when find out that your child's bad behavior is not just them acting out, but is based off a totally legit medical issue. I also believe that the Lord inspires us as to what we need to do for our kids...and no book or method out there can give you specific council for your child (although I do LOVE it when the book's advise totally works!)

Brett and Meredith said...

What a sweet tribute to your darling Anna. I will never forget how excited I was to meet you and to find out that our baby girls were due on the exact same day! Lucky for us, they both came early:) The crazy thing about it is how similar she and Eliza are! I remember trying so hard at one point to figure out what to do with our "strong-willed" sweetie, when a friend gave me a quote that said, "Children need love the most when they are the hardest to love"...or something like that. It helped keep things in perspective (at least most of the time:) ) I think if all our children just "followed the books" we wouldn't change into anything...parenthood would merit no growth or reliance on the Lord.
Anyway, on to wishing a VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Anna! We love your family so much! (Oh, and I love the candid shot, too, by the way)

Laura said...

I've always thought Anna was fun! I love her and think she is just TOO cute! She and Mariah need to play more.

Kendra said...

Okay let me just say what you wrote about Anna is so sweet! Who took your pictures? They are gorgeous! Where is that taken at?