Sunday, May 31, 2009

I did it!

A few weeks ago I ran my first official 5k race and finished just under my goal time. Randall was so sweet and without me even asking, came down to the finish line with the kids to cheer me on. It meant so much for him to understand how big this was for me. I was so nervous I could hardly sleep. When I stood at the starting line with hundreds of other people waiting for the start, my legs were so weak with nerves I was't sure I could run at all. When I crossed the finish I felt the greatest sense of accomplishment. I felt more proud of me than I have been in a long time. It was the best feeling. In my book there is not much that compares to setting a goal and accomplishing it. Some you may giggle and think, a 5k? who cares? I know and admire people who participate in triathalons, run marathons, accomplish amazing physical feats. There are moments when I think about that and feel my accomplishment to be so very small, almost embarassing, and yet almost my whole adult life I have had a dream that someday I would be a"runner". When I turned 30 I set a goal to be in the best shape of my life this year, and while the vision in my head was of a size 4 super model, and I'm certainly not that, I think I am in fact the most fit I have even been in my life. It feels good to accomplish something that for years seemed like the impossible, but I did it and I'm proud of me.

10 comments:

Lindsey said...

That's so awesome Ashley!!! Congrats!

Katrina said...

Good job, Ashli! I think it's awesome, and you look fantastic.

Laura said...

That's awesome. Good job Ash. I'm proud of you

Brittney said...

Way to go!

Maria Hart said...

Good work, and a 5k is a huge accomplishment! The first 5k is always the best, even though your time always gets better! Watch out, they can be addictive.

Sarah said...

Wow, Ash, that's great! What an accomplishment--I'm not laughing at all. Running is one of the hardest things.

Tyra said...

Ash, I am the proudest mom! You set a goal and worked HARD to reach it. Good luck on Saturday. You rock!

Jordan Merrell said...

Awesome!!! I am so happy that you guys did it! I will definitely be joining in next year. That is so awesome that you reached one of your major goals and you do look amazing!

Unknown said...

i am very proud of you and it is no small accomplishment.
love ya and mis you

Angelle said...

NICE!! So wish we were closer, I'd make you be my running buddy!