Monday, July 12, 2010

Miss Manners

Like a lot of mother's, I try really hard to teach my children manners. Manners about table etiquette, bodily functions :), please and thank you's and a plethora of other things. Today I dropped Ethan off at a friends to play while I took Anna to the eye Doc. As I dropped him off I reminded him "please remember your manners". Each time any of my kids go anywhere I remind them, and when I pick them up I ask "did you use your manners?" and the reply is usually..."I forgot". It makes me crazy. I know they are just kids but still. Anyway, today as I dropped Ethan off I said "Do NOT ask to play video games. If they offer you can say yes but do not ask." So when I called my girlfriend to tell her I was on my way she was laughing and said when Ethan got to her house he said "my Mom told me I CANNOT ask to play video games, but I would really like to". Good one Eth!

On another note, Anna's eyes have improved a tad since last year. She is still legally blind without her glasses but for the first time ever they were able to get one of her eyes to 20/20. The other they could only get as good as 20/25 but that's great! Thank heavens for glasses.

One of the hardest things for me as a Mom, and with my overly particular personality is letting my children make their own choices. Anna tried on several pair of glasses today and we narrowed it down to two. I loved both of the frames and their color but when they were actually on Anna's face one just was much more flattering than the other. I felt like I should let her choose though since she has to wear them and like them. But of course she chose the ones that weren't very flattering. Her eye brows are totally straight across so if she picks frames that are straight across they make her to appear sad or mad. On the other hand if you pick a frame that goes up slightly like a smile shape somehow it makes her face appear to be happy. Not to mention the frames are bright red and with her hair and dark eyes she looked darling. The other pair was light blue and just ok. It was killing me that she chose the blue pair. I tried to encourage but was trying to stick to my guns and let her make the choice. Even the guy helping us was going a bit far saying he like the others a lot more and they looked better on her. I didn't want her feelings to be hurt, and wanted to ultimately let her choose. I had paid and we were ready to go when she changed her mind to the red, more flattering pair, Hurray!!! I hate that about myself but they really are so cute on her and not just because they are my favorite color. She was really sad that she couldn't take them home today but in a week when we get them back we will show off our cute little girl in her new fashion glasses.

1 comment:

Jordan Merrell said...

I did the same thing when I took Easton for his glasses! luckily they made the "Right" choices, and hopefully they felt like they made the ultimate decision :) I am excited to see them, I bet she will look darling!