Friday, November 7, 2008

Fun Friday

I have heard of mother's who have fun Friday's and I think it's a great idea. I really don't take time as often as I should or would like to do "fun" things with my kids. Today however I have decided on a plan. First we will make a paper chain of the days left until Thanksgiving. We are going to a cabin with my whole side of the family for Thanksgiving weekend up in the snowy mountains and we can all hardly wait. Anna asks me about every other minute when we are going to the "calvin". I keep telling her "on Thanksgiving". I have showed them on the calender and we have counted the days numerous times but obviously it has not sunk in yet that Thanksgiving is not in a few days.

The other day Ethan asked me how you make a pumpkin pie, so today I told him we would make one. I truthfully love to make pies. Yes it is time consuming but there is something so rewarding in taking a hot, sweet smelling pie from the oven that was baked from scratch-crust and all. Don't get me wrong, I don't often make pies, but every Thanksgiving when my mom says "let's just make it easy" I say NO, I am making some pies. (and Julie my sis in law must make home made rolls-something I have not yet mastered, that is unless they are rhoades) It is Thanksgiving tradition for Randall and I on the Eve before turkey day to put on a good movie and make pies. I look forward to it every single year. Last year I think we watched Ferris Beuller's day off. It's funny to me every time.

Can you tell I love Thanksgiving? I love to look forward to the Macy's day parade. In fact when Rand and I went to New York that was one of the many things I wanted to do was see Macy's with the infamous store front windows. Sadly they were vacant at the time. I look forward to baking, dressing up nice and cozy (with room in the waist band). I love sitting down to dinner. My mom always has a beautiful table set with linens and a beautifully presented centerpiece. She often sets the table at least a day or two ahead ensuring everything to be ready. I love listening to Christmas music. Ok, I have already listened to some here and there but am trying not to get my fill until it's actually Christmas time. I actually am one of those crazy people that even if my shopping is all done, likes to go out among the people filled places with arms full with packages. I love to decorate for Christmas, the one time of year I don't mind when my house is over-decorated and a tad cluttered with Christmas trinkets.

Well, here's to a fun Friday. Hope yours is fun filled as well...

4 comments:

Marina said...

I am so with you, I love thanksgiving and Christmas. I just hate being in cold :)

CarolAnne said...

We tried "counting sleeps" and for some reason, that was easier than counting down days and it really worked great! Each day we could say, "Five more sleeps until..." Visuals also help. We made the paper chains and used seasonal shapes (teacher stores sell calendar shapes in packages of 31), such as paper leaves with numbers put on a paper tree stuck on the wall so we could watch the leaves fall off. Our longest countdown was "the 100 sleeps until Dad came home from Saudi Arabia." The kids are now grown but they still use "counting sleeps until..." Have a wonderful holiday season with your family!

Enjoying the Journey said...

Love the fun Friday idea. I probably owe my kids some of those after the past few weeks. I love reading how excited you are about Thanksgiving--me too! I am really looking forward to it! Are you doing pies, and me rolls? Thanks for all your help with last night. I think it was amazing! We're a great team!

Lisa said...

It sounds like you have some great holiday traditions. I like the idea of making pies while watching a movie. Homemade pies are the best!