Thursday, November 20, 2008

Fa lalalalalalalala

I'm just so darn excited. Do you realize that Thanksgiving is merely one week away? Do you know what this means? It means that all the morning shows will be showing delicious ways to prime and brine your turkey, as well as the best stuffing recipes shared on Martha Stewart, although I will stick with "stove top" any day of the week. Yesterday I made a yummy pumpkin roll with cream cheese filling and not only was it tasty but looked so fun cut and placed on the plate. Yesterday I got together with some gals and the kids for lunch and I of course had to talk about Thanksgiving. I asked them what their Thanksgiving traditions were and guess what their response was? Not much. I was so dissapointed. One of my quirks is that I am always stressed about thinking we need to come up with our own traditions. I scour the internet looking for others ideas on how to celebrate the season and then ask everyone I know, and I guess I just watch too many commercials where it's the lovely scene through the bay front window of the nicely dressed family sitting around the table and everyone looks so happy and cozy. Those people look like they have some sweet traditions, right? This all goes back to my having too high holiday expectations. While the expectations have been lower this year, and yes I have been much less miserable I still admit that the whole wanting great traditions that will make my children have fabulous memories is still ever present. Every Thanksgiving I read again about how Thanksgiving came about and have a desire to be more thankful. I always feel inspired to share a poem or discuss gratitude around the table as we eat. But, it never happens and why? Because I am not a cheesy person, and while it all sounds good leading up to the event, as soon as we sit down I know full well it's just not gonna happen. Especially when it's my side of the family. I come from a family of just brothers. Boys who are very rarely serious and completely sarcastic 90% of the time. So I wonder, what are your traditions? What other than watching the Macy's day parade and baking pies and eating til you're sick? So...what do you do at your house? I really want know...

7 comments:

Lisa said...

Every year at Thanksgiving we put three corn kernals next to the dinner plates. We then go around the table and everyone shares three things they are grateful for. The kids even look forward to it. It is always fun to hear what they are grateful for.

Jensen said...

I started doing something this year. Every day we say something we are grateful for that happened during the day. I am hoping to continue this throughout the year. Good luck on finding traditions . . . just remember the best ones are the times you spend with the kids. They will remember that much more than decorations and anything else:))
Trish

Katrina said...

We do the normal go around the table and say something you're thankful for- which I actually like a lot.

Something Nils and I do is go to breakfast with our little kiddies on Thanksgiving.

Jordan Merrell said...

One thing that I didn't think about at lunch is that we always had to look nice. We didn't have to wear church clothes but had to wear khakis at least and nice shirts/sweaters. Like everyone, we always went around the table and said what we are thankful for. I have thought about the days leading up to thanksgiving and focusing on one kid per day and everyone talking about why we are thankful for them all day long and making it another special day. Kids can't get enough of that. I think the best part of Thanksgiving is just being together. to me its not a huge tradition time unlike christmas. I think making your pies the day before and watching the parade and going to your parents are great traditions!

Enjoying the Journey said...

I am way excited about Thanksgiving. Don't worry, I think this year we'll have more time for the sappy side of the holiday to come out. It's going to be awesome!

The Walker Family said...

You are too funny. Every year B plays flag football, I run a race early that morning before the game, and Jace has actually registered to run a race this year as well. I am sooo excited for him. We also do an advent calendar each year (Pottery Barn Kids) instead of getting candy each day we all together think of one thing we are grateful for and put it into that days little pocket. Happy Thanksgiving!!

courtneyb said...

2 of my favorites are:
-run the orem turkey trot in the morning. They have kids runs and my kids love it.

-I have a white sheet that I use as a table cloth and everyone has to sign it and write what they are thankful for. It's fun to look back on.