Friday, August 1, 2008

Family update

We're back, mostly unpacked and just about as tired as Anna looks in this picture. Brittney guessed right and now matter how hard we try this must be the place for us. We are back living in the same town homes we were living in exactly 1 year ago. We purchased a 4 bedroom 2 and 1/2 bath place that was owned by a single, older lady that kept the place looking brand new. It is two years old and we are excited about having everyone have their own room. Our plan is to live here 2 years or so and then keep this as a rental property. A good way to build wealth-so we are told. When I drove by and finally saw a "SOLD" sign I wanted to cry tears of joy. Of course I had to document it as this is our first home purchase. We love the neighborhood and the ward. The only problem is that a lot of our friends who were here when we were have now moved on. I guess that means we'll just have to make new ones.

We quickly learned that as home owners there is always maintenance to be done. Our first order of business was to take care of the many wasps nests that were on our place. I guess they like this house as much as we do. Randall decided that although we had wasp spray and our neighbors offered us a pole to remove the nests, he had a better plan, his pellet gun. Rand thought it wasn't any fun to just knock it down, he wanted to shoot them down. My favorite line of the night was when he said "A man has needs", apparently shooting wasp nests is one of them. He even climbed up on the roof with his gun to shoot one of the nests off. The best part about it is that he is allergic to bees. I was standing close by with the phone to call 911 just in case he was stung. He does have a prescription for an epi pen but of course he hasn't filled it yet. Rand made it out alive, thankfully the wasps did not. I have to admit it was pretty funny to see his first shot hit the nest and about 40 mad wasps flying about.
Oh, on an unrelated note. I was feeding Kate the other night and looked up to give her another bite when it hit me...she looked just like Nacho Libre. I laughed so hard. I just had to capture it. And no I didn't purposely paint a mustache on her with her veggies. I guess it was just meant to be. She is crawling around now and has only fallen down our new steps once, and it wasn't all the way down. He birthday is in 3 short weeks and I can hardly believe it. I wish she'd stay this small and sweet forever!
In other news Rand continues to do well at work has been given bigger clients, and has begun to travel. This week he went to DC for two days and next week he will be in San Francisco for a day or two. I don't mind as long as it's not weeks on end. You have to impress the boss somehow right?

And no I am not brave enough to paint anything red as of yet. Although I am hosting Bunco this month so want things looking tip top by then. We'll see how it goes.

I'll post pictures as we do fun things and I feel a little more settled. this weekend we have a Barrett family reunion and Randall's Summer work party. I won't name the company because the last time I did his supervisor's services flagged my blog and he was able to read all about it. They are bringing in a Carnival to Thanksgiving point and have given the whole family free passes to all that is available there all day tomorrow before the festivities. They gave everyone in the family a fun t-shirt to wear and Kate a onesie. I'm looking forward to eating my weight in cotton candy. :)

10 comments:

CarolAnne said...

What a cute place! After living in the south, I have a fondness for shutters. I know you will love being in your own home. Enjoy!

Enjoying the Journey said...

Lucky! You got a For Sale sign! We didn't get no stupid sign! Seriously...we are so excited for you guys!
BTW...I'd say Kate is a cute version of Nacho!

Lisa said...

I was really suprised when I saw the location of your new home! You are almost on the same street as before. It is nice that you have the four bedroom one. They are a great investment. We still regret that we didn't buy one. I showed Kev the post and after seeing Randall shooting your wasp nests he decided to go take care of ours. Luckily, he is just using the spray. I also laughed my head off when I saw the "Nacho" picture!

Sherwoods said...

Wow, I am really impressed that you unpacked so fast! That is awesome you have a house. I really would love to know what exactly goes through mens brains sometimes...I am glad Randall made it out alive with no 911 call! Good luck with the red paint decision!

Brett and Meredith said...

Only in Utah would you see your new neighbor shooting down the bees...ha! That is a great picture....love it. Thanks for the maintenance tip...I'm sure we'll need it around here. Now Brett's going to be hunting for wasps just to have an excuse to buy a pellet gun. Remind me again why we live 600 miles apart? You guys are the best! Congrats on the house...and you better hold on tight to that sweet Kate or she'll casted in "Nacho Libre...how it All began".

Dave and Becky said...

YEA!! Congrats on your official first house. That is so exciting. There's just something about having your own space, no matter what space it is, after being in someone else's space! :) Enjoy your house... looks like you certainly are going to make a lot of fun memories. Go, Randall!

Brittney said...

Yay! That's great that you're back in the old ward and everything. I think the 4-bedrooms are great. Did I tell you we're hoping to back to Provo? If so, we're toying w/ the idea of moving into our townhome for a while again. How fun that we could be neighbors again! =) And I loved the "a man has needs" line. So macho. =)

Jana said...

why is your patio umbrella up today?

we have wasps too. what is it with this area? Send randall over with that guy.

Jana said...

Next time Randall comes to DC you need to come with him and stay for a few days with us.

Chris said...

Hey Ash! The blog sure looks good! How are you guys settling in? We need to chat or something!