Friday, January 29, 2010

Pass the cheetos please!


You may not want to read this cause it's gonna get ugly... I hate to complain about my kids cause I love them and they are mine and healthy and strong, but... today just may do me in. Nothing catastrophic but annoying just the same. Especially when I am trying soooo hard to be calm, and nice, and patient, which is something I am not very good at, the patient part at least, I am generally calm and nice, well maybe not calm, but nice. Anyway...This morning started out as it usually does with me asking Anna to go get dressed and her saying, "I don't know what to wear". I find this annoying because then I always say long pants and long sleeves. Aren't I nice to not control every choice she makes and pick out her cutest outfits? No, instead I choose to give up control(which is hard for me) and let her make a choice that may not make me thrilled and even embarrassed at times with things she chooses. This is how the morning continued...
Me: Anna here are some clothes you can wear, please get dressed while I get Kate dressed.
Me: Anna are you dressed?
Anna: I don't have anything to wear!
Me: Yes you do I laid it out for you on your dresser
Anna: whining and screaming of some sort
Me: I will do Kate's hair while you get dressed. We have to go in 20 minutes.
Anna: More crying and screaming
Me 5 minutes later: We are going to have to leave and you will have to wear whatever you have on, is that going to be your underwear(since that is as far as she had gotten).
Anna: crying and screaming
Me: please get dressed
Me: Hurry so we can do your hair. How do you want your hair done?
Anna: I don't care if my hair is done.
Me: Ok, let's just not do it then
Anna: Screaming more, "I want my hair done!"
Me: Ok, stop crying and ask me nicely to do it.
-Finally she does
Me: How do you want it?
Anna: a braid
-so I do one braid like she usually likes.
anna: NOt one braid I want two braids right here! (screaming and crying)
Me: You said a braid and that's what I did and all we have time for.
Anna: more screaming
-As we are getting on coats to leave she says, "Mom, you got me in trouble!" (I love how all this is my fault)
We have a little talk about the fact that she is choosing to act this way etc.
-We go to her parent teacher conference and thankfully other than her being bossy at school(surprise, surprise) she gets a good report.
So I am still trying to be calm and think let's do something fun together. So I asked Anna if she wanted to make something with me. She said yes.
Me: Do you want to make cinnamon rolls?
Anna: No, I want to make cookies
Me: Ok like snickerdoodles?
Anna: No, like cupcakes, pink cupcakes.
Me: Ok let's stop on the way home and pick some things up.
-while we were there I decided that we were going to buy cheetos. I have been wanting cheetos for months now and haven't given in but today I was all about the cheetos.
We get home and I ask "Anna do you want some cheetos?"
Anna: No.
10 minutes later-anna comes to me and says "I want cheetos!" so I told her to go get a bowl and get some, but she says she wants me to do it. I told her i offered and she said no so she would have to do it. So she pouts for 5 minutes and finally decides to get some cheetos.

How many more hours til bedtime? We still have to make the cupcakes and by then she'll probably want brownies!

2 comments:

Stacy said...

sounds like our house on some days...but you are nicer than me...if Sienna's refusing to get dressed, or pitching a fit about what to wear I count her, and by the time we get to 3 if she hasn't started getting dressed, I get her dressed. My little sister actually tells her daughter that if she doesn't get dressed she (meaning my sister) will go and pick out the UGLIEST outfit (according to her daughter) and that's what she'll have to wear.

I think Sienna's going to be my Anna...she'll throw 2-2 1/2 hour tantrums just kicking, screaming, throwing things. It's already tested my patience enough...I don't know that I have the lifetime supply of patience I'll be needing.

Hang in there.

Alyssa said...

Funny stories! Sounds like my own kids! Love the crouton story