Monday, January 4, 2010

Embrace

I have been reading recently of people who choose a "word for the year", their hope or aspiration for 2010. I've been giving that a lot of thought. If I had to choose my theme or word for the year 2010 what would it be? The past week or so my mind has wandered from word to word. Initially I chose the word "accept" as in accepting things as they come, however they come etc. I often find myself struggling with things that I either can't control, or with things that are not really that important. I decided that my chosen word needed to be taken a step further. My word for this year is "Embrace". I feel like while embrace and accept are fairly similar, I find that embrace is a more active and positive aspect on the whole not just accepting what is, but embracing it.

That word Embrace has been on my mind a lot today. We received some horribly, sad heartbreaking news this morning regarding some friends of ours and their family. This family has endured so much and yet continues in faith to embrace what comes. My heart has been heavy with hurt today for them and their loss. Their trials have caused me to ask questions like how? Why? Why them? What more can be asked of them to endure? Would I be able to endure if it was asked of me? This family has been an extremely strong example of FAITH and STRENGTH and embracing what is and having the courage to move forward. I don't know whether they have asked similar questions in public or in private. I do know that because of their example's of faith and strength, I commit this year to do whatever it takes to increase my faith, and to know that whatever comes my way, good or bad, I can embrace it.

5 comments:

Brittney said...

Wow, I hope I can do the same. Your friends have been on my mind all day. Thank you for sharing your thoughts... It's amazing what we can learn from trials, even when they're not our own. I hope this family can continue to rely on their faith and find happiness in the coming year.

The Walker Family said...

You are amazing. I think sometimes our trial at the time can simply be aching for others as they suffer. You have a good heart which can make this trial difficult. I am happy to have such a wonderful friend like you. I will also try to embrace everything that comes my way.

XOXO

Jordan Merrell said...

embrace is such a wonderful word and has such a wonderful meaning. I think that is the perfect theme word for the year also because in another 4 months you will be to do a lot more embracing :) I think we all grow and learn from other's trials. I am still heart broken for you friends, but I definitely have been appreciating the little things more!

Michelle said...

I love and appreciate these words and i love the idea of having a word for the year. I might follow your example on that one. You've summed up a lot of my own thoughts and I thank you for posting this.

Tyra said...

I think your word, "embrace" is terrific. You are right, embrace is much more positive than accept. I think we need to "embrace" life rather than just accept what we are given. Lindy has a mantra "there are no mistakes." That is interesting too. Thanks for the good ideas. I am going to post the "word" to keep thinking and working toward.