Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Temple open house



June 6th we had the opportunity to take our kids and some friends of our to the Oquihrr Mountain temple open house. We have enjoyed the grounds of many temples with the kids before and while that is always a nice experience it was so special to take the kids inside and give them a glimpse of what goes on inside. Anna especially has been curious of what goes on inside and what it looks like.

I was really praying that the kids would have a positive experience and feel the spirit once inside such a beautiful and important place. First we watched a little video about why we have temples and the history of temples in ancient times. Ethan leaned over to Randall during the video and said "I am really impressed with this video" He cracks us up. Once inside I was so impressed with how calm and reverent the kids were. We of course prepped them before hand explaing what a special and sacred place it was and that it was important that they be reverent. I really think they could feel something special because they were so calm, quiet and well behaved. Some of my favorite things were all the beautiful pieces of artwork all depicting scenes from Christ's life. The kids really enjoyed seeing the baptisimal font of the "pool" as they called it. It was fun to point out the Bride's room to Anna's where the Bride's were dress and get ready before the wedding or "sealing" ceremony. It was special to sit in a sealing room and explain to the kids that 10 years ago Randall and I knelt at the alter to make sacred promises to bind our family together forever. I couldn't help but be a little emotional thinking that it was possible that our children were there at the time of our sealing in spirit awaiting their time to come to earth. I

It really was a neat experience. When we were walking out of the temple Ethan said to me "Mom, I felt my heart in the temple." I was so touched that he actually felt the spirit inside The Lord's house. I explained to him that was the Holy Ghost helping him feel that the things he saw and learned were good.

I remember when I was a probably 3 years old, going to the Jordan River temple open house with my parents and siblings. It was so neat so many years later to now be in the temple with with my husband and children. It was a really neat experience hopefully never to be forgotten.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Is that the one up to the right just after you pass the point of the mountain?

Brittney said...

That is so sweet! I love that Ethan "felt his heart." :) We enjoyed the open house as well. It's so beautiful!

Tyra said...

I'm so happy you took the opportunity to teach the children about the temple and that they felt so reverent there. We never know what they will remember. I remember how special it was to me when we took you children to the Jordan River open house. I didn't know you could remember that. I remember commenting that it would be many years before all of our family would be able to be in the temple again together. It was, but we made it! It was worth the wait.