Sunday, May 9, 2010

What it's all about


It's Sunday morning, Mother's day morning, and for the moment I am completely happy and content. A feeling that is too often fleeting. This morning I awakened to fussing of little Jane. I laid there thinking I would wait just a minute to see that she was really awake and ready to eat. A few minutes later I sat up to see an empty crib. It scared me. Randall had come in and quietly snatched her up hoping to let me sleep a little longer.

I sat down to feed her, enjoying my sweet new bundle adding even more joy to this Mother's day. The kids soon came in with my breakfast. English muffin with eggs and Canadian bacon with lots of salsa, my favorite. It was soon after that things quickly changed. Isn't it typical that kids act their worst on a day like today? Is that really the way it is, or is it that we just hope for and expect them to act a little nicer on our special day? The kids were fighting over something, Anna hit Kate which ensued a very long, loud and dramatic time out. After that Anna gave me her gift and then quickly told me she needed to put it in her room to keep it "safe". Then we told the kids that it was time for baths with followed with much weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth. Why is that? Once they are in the tub they like to bathe, so why all the fuss? Just to make Mom's job worth it right?

As I sat down to check my email and turn on the Mormon Tabernacle choir, another of my favorite things, especially on special day like today, Kate out of the blue climbed up on the couch next to me and laid her head on my shoulder with closed eyes. She sat there quietly for a minute allowing me to breathe in my freshly bathed baby, well at least the little girl that was my baby just weeks ago. I kissed her and told her how much I loved her snuggle, and thought to myself on this Mother's day, this is what it's all about.

3 comments:

Jordan Merrell said...

so sweet! we have to take the good with the bad, the sweet with the tantrums :) It wouldn't be mother's day with out some melt downs but I am glad there were enough sweet moments to make you realize "what its all about" :)

Brittney said...

The "little girl that was my baby just weeks ago" part brought tears to my eyes. Isn't it crazy how things change, and yet you probably can't imagine your life without Jane being a part of it! I'm glad you had some good moments today. Mother's Day is always a little rough for me for some reason (I think it is because I expect too much), but it's all part of being a mother, right? The bad stuff just makes the sweet moments all the more sweet!

Jensen said...

So cute!! I just wanted to agree with the comment that kids act the worst on days like Mothers day. My 5 year old ended up going to church in his boxers. Yes, he wouldn't get dressed so I grabbed his clothes and to church we went. He still wouldn't put them on in the car so I picked him up and walked into church. They were having the sacrament so we were in the hallway for about 20 minutes in his boxers. Finally, he slowly dressed himself after several people laughed. Such a crazy day! Glad you're loving your new baby . . . she is so beautiful!