Sunday, April 5, 2009

You go boy!

The girls wanting in on the action
Part of the cheering section. Rand and his parents and ms. Kate of course
The proud boy

Last week Ethan brought home an invitation stating that he would be receiving an award at school and that we were invited to attend. I asked him what it was for and he said "I don't know." So we made a big deal out of it anyway. He received a great report from his teacher at parent conferences and was given the check of mastery on absolutely everything on his report card this time so we are really proud of him for working so hard in school. Sunday before he received the award we were visiting family and he said to his uncle "So... I'm getting an award at school...I'm pretty proud of myself". His uncle asked what it was for and he again replied "I don't know." He cracks us up. Well I think that we had the largest cheering section ever because in attendance was Randall and his parents, my parents, and me of course. Ethan prayed the night before that Rand would be able to get away from work to come see him receive the award. Well his prayers were answered. We were were really proud of him because he received the "Scholar of the Month" award for his whole class. It was given in front of the whole school in an assembly they do once a month. They also give a citizenship award but who cares about that? we are going for the big time here right? Just kidding. Good citizenship is also very important. Ethan was quite proud of himself. The funniest part was that my Dad saw that some other little boy was given some money for his award so my Dad quickly pulled out his wallet and gave Ethan a little cash. It cracked me up. Way to go Dad!

While I'm at it I might as well brag just a bit more about what a great boy Ethan is. He is very sweet and thoughtful. Last Sunday I sang in a group in church and when I returned to the bench he looked up at me and with all seriousness said "That was beautiful!" It was so sweet. About a month ago we were eating lunch and the garbage truck was outside getting the garbage of course and he said "Mom, I just said a prayer that the garbage man would be able to get all the garbage." He was very sad when Rand had to leave on his trip and cried and cried. When Rand had been gone for about 2 weeks I told Ethan I had talked to Dad on the phone and he said to tell him that he loved and missed him. I thought that would make Ethan happy but he burst into tears because he missed Rand so much. It broke my heart. At night I often tell him before closing his door that he is my favorite boy. I guess I hadn't said it for a little while because one night he asked "Mom, am I still your favorite boy?" I felt bad that he had missed me telling him and it showed me how important it is for me to express my love and admiration for him more often.

Way to go Ethan we are proud of you and all you do!

4 comments:

Tyra said...

We were really proud of Ethan also. He is a tender-hearted little boy. It is sad that as children grow up they think they need to hide their sweetness. Good job, Ethan!

Laura said...

What a sweetheart!

Maria Hart said...

What a sweet boy! Congratulations to Ethan. And, it is hard to have husbands out of town, and you had the whole time difference to contend with! I'm glad you have Randall home again, it is amazing how much just a few hours of help in the evenings... and over the weekends can make such a huge difference in Mom's sanity.

The Walker Family said...

Way to go Eathan. Ash, I loved all of the sweet comments you made about him. He really is sooo sweet. We miss you guys!!