Sunday, July 13, 2008

Misc. Musings




I feel like a lot has been going on this week. It as been a emotional one with many ups and downs. Hold on to your hats while I fill you in. First of all I am thrilled that my talk is over. I had to speak on forever families. When the topic was assigned I thought okay no big deal. Then many things this week transpired to make it one of the most difficult talks to prepare and deliver. Of course my thoughts have been heavily on the Sherwoods this week as it is the year anniversary since little Drew returned home. I continue to be in awe of their faith and strength.
The funeral was a good occasion. Sad and difficult but also good. It was so great to see so many loved ones from my childhood. It was a good reminder that it's not only okay but good and healthy to express our love to not only our family members but our friends. I often feel hesitant to be affectionate to friends or tell them my care and concern from them thinking they might be scared away and think I am weird. But hey there could be alot worse than weird right?
I have been frustrated with the kids this week as well as you may have read but things are looking up. Today in particular has been a good day. This morning and last Sunday as soon as breakfast is over we head out for a nice leisurely walk. Ethan does ride his scooter and Anna her tryke, but it is so nice to not only enjoy the outdoors in the quiet (and cool) of the morning and talk to each other. We ended up walking for 45 minutes around the neighborhood. It felt like 20. The funny part was toward the end when Ethan had decided he had enough and didn't want to walk anymore. Of course me being the sweet mother that I am (wink,wink) took the opportunity to discuss the pioneers with Ethan and explain that they walked and walked and walked sometimes without shoes and on an empty tummy to boot. It was then that Ethan brought up the buffalo from the story in FHE and said we should make some mittens. It was funny.
When we got home from our walk while I prepared my primary lesson Rand made home-made oreos with the kids. What's a Sunday without a big fat treat right? I wish that weren't the case but what do you do. At least it's a reverent activity right? After dinner we had church, delivered some cookies and visited some friends. It was a good day. I feel tired and wish I would learn to go to bed at a decent hour. The only problem is that once the kids are asleep it is so nice to actually have to to think and do things, that I just never want it to end, and thus never go to bed. By the way I need a good book. Any recomendations? I still miss my book club in Texas. We tried one here years ago and it flopped. If anyone is in a good one and needs an addition let me know. Well I feel bored just thinking about this post. I will add some picture to spice it up. I am sad that my old blog is gone. what do you do.

4 comments:

Maria Hart said...

I have a great book group up here, we've been going strong for four years. You could drive up and join us! We meet the first Wednesday of every month! If not (I know it is a crazy idea) you can still read our pick. We're reading a book called "Tisha" this month, it is about a teacher in remote Alaska.

Brett and Meredith said...

That picture of Kate is to die for!! Such a doll. Glad that your week is going well, and also glad for your last post to know that I am not the only one with kids who aren't *perfectly* obedient! Guess that's what makes parenting such a good experience...it isn't always fun or easy, but it must be refining us into better people, right?!

Brittney said...

Hey, do you know about Goodreads? It's a great way to find things to read. You can find the link on my blog. =) And those pics of Kate are so cute!

kittymeow22 said...

Hey Ashli this is Tannie. I hope you don't mind me taking a peek at your blog. Its super cute and so are your kids. I am in a book club and we are actually meeting at my house next Thursday if you would like to come join our book club. Give me a call or I can talk to you about it on Sunday.