Tuesday, July 1, 2008

4th of July

So I know this is coming a few days early but the nostalgia of the 4th is already settling in. Oh how I am looking forward to this wonderful day which is probably my most favoritist holiday! Have you ever seen the movie Sandlot? Well there is the greatest 4th of July scene in it ever. Totally worth seeing. My kids call the movie "sunblock" and they love it (even if it does have a few choice words). For some reason the 4th gets me all giddy and excited, I think even more so than Christmas and without all the money and presents to worry about. This year we are planning on some of our favorite traditions. We love to go see the early morning balloon launch. Then traditionally we go somewhere fun for breakfast. Then we are hoping for a big fat nap followed by a BBQ and yes I am rather adament about this small detail. Yes it is supposed to be 101 degress Friday and who wants to grill? Me, Me!! My parents said why don't we do hoagies, or pizza. What?? That's no fun it's the 4th for Pete's sake. We have to BBQ. My sister in law gave me some good advice about holidays this year around Christmas time because I always have such high expectations and then feel major holiday let down. She told me I needed to lower my expectations and then I would enjoy my holidays so much more. At first I was distraught at this little piece of advice, but have come to realize...she's right. Thanks Lindy, and I am sure that Randall thanks you since holidays can be rather stressful for him as well wondering how the day is going to go and how I am going to react to it not going as I had hoped or planned. So we have our plan in place and I am hopefu,l but if I don't feel the nostalgia I feel while watching sandlot I have decided that I will not in fact have a heart attack or anything of that nature. It will be okay. Sorry to my family who wants to bring hoagies or pizza, bring what you will, but just know that I will be barbequing, and eating chips and and homemade ice cream and...well I guess you get the picture. Food aside, my aunt sent a letter to us today talking about her love for God and her country among other things. It was so nice to read. My uncle was a chaplain in the Air Force so she really understands what it means to be proud to be an American. I echo her sentiments and am also grateful for this wonderful holiday that reflects the wonderful country we have the privile to live in and to worship however we choose. I recently went to a city parade with the kids and surprisingly became quite emotional as the motorcops lined up and led our flag down the street. We loved living in Belgium and learned so much, but upon our return were reminded of all the priviledge and freedoms we have here in America. Today at the library we got a great book entitled "I Pledge Allegience", it explains all the words in the pledge of allegience so that kids understand what they are actually saying and the meaning behind it. Quite insightful, I highly reccomend it. Hope you all have a wonderfull safe, with-only- moderate- expecations holiday!

6 comments:

Brittney said...

Yay! I'm so glad you're back online. I was worried. =) I would have called but I don't have your number anymore! I'll have to get it from you again. I think it's funny that you get so excited for the 4th! I hope everything goes as planned. Have fun!

Jordan Merrell said...

i am so glad you are back. I kept wondering what was going on because you were pretty good about posting before :) I love the 4th as well. You gain a new appreciation and love for our country when you have lived oversees and visited other countries. Our country does have some issues but it is still best country in the world. I hope that your day is not a let down :) I am sure it won't.

ps...post your pizza recipe!

The Walker Family said...

Woohoo...welcome back. My kids love that book we have also checked it out from the library before. I hope all of your expectations are met. Have fun :)

Brett and Meredith said...

Wish we were there to celebrate with you!! The fourth is such a fun holiday...like you say, all the anticipation and excitement of Christmas without all the expectations and stress. Glad I found your blog (through your comment on the Sherwoods).

Angelle said...

We are sad we will miss out on seeing you for the 4th. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that all the anticipation will play out as hoped for! Have fun!

Jana said...

I'm so excitted that I found you. I love the 4th too. I love gaining 5 pounds and watching the fireworks. I don't know what we are going to do. DC will probably be too pack that I wont want to deal with it. I am hoping to get together with some people here that we have met in the ward to do all the fun parades.