Friday, September 11, 2009

Thoughts

I had some time today that got me thinking. What are some things that I really want to do? I went to a darling little fabric store today with gift certificates in hand from my birthday just dying to be spent. I looked and searched and with so many fun colors and textures, fabrics and ideas, that I left the store with no purchases in hand, feeling a tad disappointed and a lot overwhelmed. It evoked that strange feeling inside where I wonder what I am meant to do? Not really with my life exactly, though I often ponder that too, but what creative thing do I want to spend my time doing. Make a quilt? A dress? A cute corduroy bag? I would like to think of myself as a creative person but then when it comes right down to it I feel stifled. What really can I make or create? What would I totally and completely love and feel 100% passionate doing? Sewing? Quilting? Painting? Scrap booking? Sadly the answer doesn't come.

I often spend more time than I should scouring "Etsy" and other women's blogs drooling over their beautiful creations. Sewing projects, photography, jewelry, art. I think I could do that, but then I don't. We finally own a home and I want to make it mine, but I won't. I'm too afraid of the outcome. What if I hate it?

One of Randall's pet peeves with me is how easily I compare myself to others and their supposed abilities, talents, or exciting lives. I don't want to compare but I want to do and make and create beautiful things, if only I could put my finger on exactly what that could be.

7 comments:

Maria Hart said...

Take all of your photos, that are clogging your computer, and make a photo-book. Use Shutterfly, and play with the designs, it always makes me feel like a designer, without any mess. And we love to "read" our photo books over and over. Or, come shoe shopping with me instead of crafting. Retail therapy is much more fun than trying to be creative!

Katrina said...

I've just embraced the fact that I'm not creative. I can be crafty, but I can't say I get much fulfillment out of it. I go to places that have crafty crap and feel a little bit inspired, but then I remember how much I swear when I attempt creativity.

Nils and I are total opposites in this regard- he has a million things he LOVES to do and they give him a lot of fulfillment. Give me a good meal with people I love and a good book, and I'm set. I dunno. I guess I'm kind of boring like that, but I figure as long as I'm happy it doesn't matter much.

Jordan Merrell said...

I could have wrote this post! Its exactly how I feel! I am not creative at all! I can't sew, I can't even scrapbook! I would love to have a creative talent but I don't. You are the type of person that can do anything you want! I bet if you tried sewing or making jewelry, you would be amazing! Just start trying a little bit of everything and you will find what you like!

Jensen said...

I sometimes feel like that, but then I remember that I don't need to do those things. I take pictures, but just of my kids and I love doing just that. I don't scrapbook really. I let my kids do their own books and they love it . . .when I have time:) I don't sew but I do look out for sales and buy great things on great deals. I think that sometimes we are all looking to be the one that does these great things that others will notice. But I finally have concluded that I just need to be the best mom and wife that I can be and so I run and work out to give me my thing. Good luck in figuring it out!!

Tyra said...

I agree with Katrina and mtjensen. Try a few new things when you can and you will find you have a lot of talents. There are times and seasons to everything. Enjoy the journey!

Enjoying the Journey said...

Hey how about some cute skirts for your girls! You ARE awesome and creative, Ash! And you're doing exactly what you're supposed to be doing!

Stacy said...

I have a problem with actually completing my crafts...I go on "kicks" for a while where I decide I want to do something like make hair bows...I spend a bunch of money, make a few, and then life happens and the rest of my materials end up collecting dust in my closet. I have found however, that when I do try to do new crafty things that if I have a deadline (birthday, holiday, gift etc) I can and will accomplish my craftyness goal and I do feel very fulfilled and proud of myself for figuring it out.

If there are things you want to try and see if you like it, come use some of my excess supplies. Then if you hate it, you didn't spend any money on it, you don't have to keep it, and it won't be collecting any more dust in my closet.

Seriously...I have scrapbooking stuff (you could come with me to Anna's monthly scrapbooking night...not much you can mess up that way), wooden stuff for toll painting, hair bows, swaddle blankets for crocheting, regular yarn for crocheting, and the list goes on.

I'm serious if you want to try it out. We could make it a girls night.