Wednesday, September 24, 2008

school, death, (deaf) and doggies

We have been so busy lately. Not with anything all that new or exciting just taking kids to and from school etc. I somehow thought that when the kids started school that there would be more time but that is not the case. I do feel like when I have less time I actually tend to use my time more wisely. Anna loves school and wishes that she could go everyday. She also wishes she could ride the bus, but then says that she is "too shy to ride the bus". When school first started Ethan was not too keen on doing his work. Even when held back from recess to finish he chose not to. I was pretty worried that if we couldn't motivate him now what would we do later. After much discussion of what his responsibilities were he still did not seem overly concerned and felt that his work was boring and "takes too long". One night after having yet another discussion I told Ethan that he was going to have to go hungry that night because I just didn't feel like making dinner. I told him that "it takes too long". With that and the promise of a sticker chart he has done his work everyday, even before recess. He's such a funny boy.

In the car the other day Ethan asked me "Mom do know what death means?"
me: What does it mean
Ethan: it means you can't hear.
Me: Oh...you mean deaf?

After he understood the difference he went on to tell me that people who can't hear with their ears, listen with their eyes. Which is funny since Ethan often will say to me "so...it sounds like you're folding some laundry" He always says sounds like instead of looks like and for some reason it just cracks me up.

On another note...Kate is saying some real words and it is so much fun. Her first word was tickle, She says tickle tickle tickle. Her second word was doggy. She is in love with anything that moves and calls dogs, cats, rabbits anything doggy. you can ask her what a doggy says and she says woof woof. She blows kisses and waves and says bye only she says it like she a southern gal. Just yesterday she said uh,oh after she dropped something from the table. We wanted her to say it again but since then she will only say it if it is actually in context, like something has dropped. She is such a cute patoot and we love her. Needless to say with her love of all things doggy, she is going to be a pink poodle dog for Halloween. Good times at the Wilson house.

10 comments:

Jordan Merrell said...

Kate is quite the fast talker! She is such a doll and I love that she loves dogs. She will be a very cute poodle. Brennen is still at the basic hi, well his favorite is "hi guys" Its so funny when he says it because he knows when to use it. the older boys will be downstairs playing and he will stand at the top of the stairs saying "hi guys, hi guys." Babies crack me up!

Maria Hart said...

Hilarious! I love what kids say, and how they define their world. Right now Keller loves "Dark Vador" and wants a "life-saver" instead of a light sabor. Great fun.

Jensen said...

You are quite clever getting him to do his homework by using the dinner idea:) Smart mom! Sounds like you are having loads of fun with your kids - they say the darndest things:)

Enjoying the Journey said...

It "sounds" like you're having a great time with your kids. To quote Elder Ballard...I love it when we can stop and just enjoy the doing and not just focus on the getting it done.

larsonfamily said...

Hey guys,
I got your blog off of Trishs blog. Your kids are so darn cute. It was good to see you at the funeral.
Here is our blog larsonpeeps.
love,
Mindy

Sarah said...

Kids are just too funny. I miss your little ones!

Hillary said...

Hey Ashli! I saw your blog and had to say hi. Your kids are adorable.

Dave and Becky said...

What a great story about Ethan... you are certainly creative, I don't know what I would do about that. Looks like it worked! I can't believe how much Kate says already. Isaac says a few words, but basically just screams at me. Aargh. I can't even get him to do a few simple signs to make it less frustrating for him. Guess we all jump so quickly just to get him to stop that he figures that works just as well! :) I can't believe how quickly they are both growing up. Seems like it was just yesterday we were both big-bellied and trying to fit around that table. Oh the good times (and glad my belly isn't quite that big any more.) Happy fall!

Amberly said...

I love the way you write.You have a gift.

courtneyb said...

The "red barn" is in Santaquin. I'd call before you go so you can find out when they do hay rides. We were with a group so I didn't have to research. The place is called South Ridge Farm.