Monday, December 14, 2009

Finding balance and JOY

It's just 11 days until Christmas and I can hardly believe it. We have done a lot of fun and festive things but I know that it will come and go and I will hardly believe it happened. I am trying to focus on the now, and what is and not what could be or should be. We are so blessed and it will have a great Christmas. It's hard for me at times to find the balance between the kids being excited Christmas morning about the things they receive and yet not be spoiled all at the same time. I of course more importantly want them to understand why we are celebrating this special holiday. I read yesterday of a family who makes an actual birthday cake to reinforce to their children that it's Christ's birthday we are celebrating. Admittedly the idea seems a tad casual and irreverent to me,singing happy birthday to Jesus, but maybe it would help them understand. What do you think? I'm not sure that's something I'm going to embrace this year anyway.

The kids are in the middle of all of their school activities decorating gingerbread men and gift exchanges. I'm kind of glad they have those things so I don't feel as much pressure to have so many activities planned at home. Due to weather we weren't able to get up to SLC to see the lights so I still really want to do that. This weekend we are having our Wilson family Christmas party, and then next week I think Rand is going to try to go to the BYU bowl game. I hope he can make it work out with his work schedule. He rarely does something fun that's just for him. We are still contemplating our Christmas Eve plans, right now we thinking we are going to have a dinner and then go see all the luminaries in Alpine that night. We will track Santa on line and scatter reindeer food and leaves cookies for Santa of course. It's just stressful to me wanting everything to be magical. I want my children to have bright memories of their childhood Christmas's. I guess I need to remember that it wasn't the gifts or the foods we ate or activities we did when I was young, I just remember being together as a family. These days having the blessing of a Mom and Dad and brothers and sisters happily together in a warm home with groceries in the pantry is more than most people will enjoy this Christmas.

2 comments:

Enjoying the Journey said...

I like the idea of a birthday cake. I think it would be a bit more concrete of an idea for you little ones. I love the ode to Kate and it was way fun to see your ultra-sound pics. I think shes a cutie already! Three girls are the bomb!

Brittney said...

It looks like you've come up with some great ideas! Your Christmas Eve ideas sound like a lot of fun. I think consistency is the key, whatever you do. No matter what it is, if it's something we did every year, it seems special to me now. The first thing that popped into my head was my Dad making a barrier w/ chairs and tamborines to make sure we wouldn't sneak out to see the presents Christmas morning. We had to wait until everyone was ready so we could enter together. :) Cheesy, but memorable. I'm sure your kids will find whatever you do magical!