Sunday, November 29, 2009

On our way,



To Christmas that is. Friday we went over to my parents house to help them put up Christmas, and to "shop" through the oodles of decorations my Mom has accumulated over the years, to bring home to our house. Friday night before bed we watched "The Grinch" before sending the kids off to bed. Yesterday we put up our tree and decorations. I had forgotten what a huge mess it is to take down the fall things, clean up the house, put up Christmas then clean up the remaining mess. Other than a wreath for the front door I think we are set. While we decked the halls we watched "A Christmas Story" which is Randall's favorite holiday show.

This morning we thought we would load up the kids with sugar before church and let them decorate the gingerbread house. The house has been sitting in my closet for probably over a month and the kids haven't been able to wait. Last night Anna was devastated going to bed because we just didn't have the energy on top of everything else we had done to decorate the gingerbread house.

Ethan and Anna did very well at first. I explained to them that they were working together as a team and had to communicate with each other. Initially they used their manners and were very polite and things were working out. After about an hour into it they both ended up in time out because of the fighting over who's side was who's and who had more candy etc. They are now back to finish their efforts, and almost done since almost all of the candy has been used.

Kate likes to participate too of course so I thought the best thing for her would be to "decorate" the gingerbread men that came with it. She had a different idea. If we tried to show her how to attach the candy to the man she would quickly rip it off and throw it in her mouth. At least she was occupied and happy and I'm just glad she didn't think that she needed to be in on the house as well.

I'm feeling pretty good about things. I feel like we are on course of having fun filled holidays. My shopping was mostly done weeks ago, other than little stocking things to pick up etc. The gifts are half way wrapped. My invites for my cookie exchange went out about two weeks ago and that will take place this Saturday. Hope your holidays are happy and less time- out filled than ours.

No comments: